
I voted for the first time today. After the many months of seeing campaign signs, watching phony commercials, and listening to the debates, it was finally time to use my young adulthood for purpose. I made the mistake of wearing heels, and regretted it the whole way there. I went with my dad, and we were voting at a church close by where we live. For the past week all I had heard from early voters was their complaints on how long the lines were, and how long it took for them to actually vote. I considered backing out after remembering this; out of fear that I would have a miserable first voting experience (due to wearing heels while waiting in a long line), and would always use that as my excuse to never vote again. After all, what difference would it make if I just waited four more years and voted for the next election? A big difference. If I decided not to vote today, I might have joined forces with the hundreds of Americans who never use their right to vote. As a proud American I did not want that to even be an option, so I went. My dad and I pulled up to the church and parked. The parking lot was full and I was afraid my feet would already start to ache during the walk to the church's door. Fortunately, they didn't. My dad opened the door for me and when I stepped inside, I smiled. There were only two people ahead of us in line. I waited for about five minutes before I stepped up, handed the lady at the table my voters card, signed my name in her book, and walked over to the man that directed me to a machine. He asked if I was a first time voter, which I replied with "yes", and he gave me quick instructions on how to use the machine. I looked down at all the names, only recognizing three of them, and pressed the little black button on the side of my choice's name. A big red button on the right lit up. I pushed it, and my vote was secured. I walked away with a pretty good first time voting experience after all, AND my feet felt fine. I'm not going to say who I voted for, but I am glad that I voted. I have decided that I will be voting again in the future, if not for anything other than my freedom and my American right.
-Jamie

1 comment:
Thanks for the story. I am interested in anything you have to say. I am proud of you for voting.
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment